Volume Risk Manager
Number one challenger in the Belgian energy market, Luminus is an electricity producer, energy supplier and energy services company. The company is one of the leaders in green energy development and production in Belgium. It operates a growing onshore wind park and plays a key role in the country’s security of supply through its gas power plants. Luminus invests in the energy challenges of the future by developing innovative energy solutions and offering them to its customers. Under its commercial brand, Luminus sells electricity, gas and energy services providing high quality services to 2 million residential and business customers, representing a commercial market share of about 20%. On top of that, Luminus has been elected Top Employer for several consecutive years - a title of which we are very proud.
The Optimisation department secures the gross margin of the company by hedging its energy portfolio exposures on wholesale energy markets. It is a young and dynamic environment wherein people are encouraged to be curious and innovative in a positive atmosphere.
Within the Optimisation dept you will be part of the Sales Interface & Pricing team, which is responsible for the market data modelling, and for the definition of energy transfer prices (cogs) for the retail department.
The Volume Risk Manager is responsible for the accuracy and the consistency of the positions to be hedged on the wholesale markets for the retail portfolio (power and natural gas).
- You translate the commercial forecast (number of contracts / delivery points, churn…) into a consumption forecast that is used for portfolio hedging;
- You participate in the design of the end-to-end forecasting process, and in the definition of roles & responsibilities across involved departments;
- You ensure the end-to-end volume consistency of assumptions taken at different stages by different departments, and challenge them with analysis;
- You establish different forecast scenarios that help assess the volume risk of the portfolio, and make recommendations to the Portfolio Optimization Team to manage that risk;
- You reconcile the forecast with the actuals at highest possible granularity, explain the volume and margin deviations, and take corrective actions to improve the forecast;
- You work in relationship with various stakeholders to guarantee the robustness of the data flow, from the commercial forecast to the Energy Trading Risk Management system;
- You build and report a recurrent dashboard to relevant committees (director level exposure);
- You work closely with the Data Manager to maintain an inventory of all the data sources containing downstream consumption information;
- You are the SPOC of the Optimisation dept for all volume related matters;
- You have a master's degree in mathematics, finance or engineering;
- You have 5 to 10 years of experience in a relevant function;
- You master MS Excel and a scripting language is a plus;
- You demonstrate thoroughness, are organized and good in diagnostic information gathering;
- You are familiar with energy as a commodity;
- You naturally challenge status quo;
- You are fluent in Dutch or French, and English.