Solution Designer Optimization & Generation
The Solution Designer is accountable for capturing and converting the business requirements into a pragmatic & affordable solution design (MVP if required) and an appropriate solution configuration in multiple domains, based on the E2E solution architecture. Is able to quantify the designed solution into a feasible workload. Accountable for the development of logical and physical data models, ETL scripts, metadata definitions and models, queries and reports, schedules, work processes, and maintenance procedures.
Luminus’ IT organization should accelerate its transition towards a more strategic business contribution role and step away from a predominating focus on the delivery of technology services.
IT within Luminus needs to look forward on the next evolution, taking into account value, efficiency and effectiveness.
The priorities for IT:
- Create a strong shared vision on future IT
- Increase Business & IT alignment
- Increase the financial efficiency / Affordable IT
- Keep the excellence in the "RUN" / delivery of technology services
- Talent : Attract, Retain, Foster & Nurture !
Main challenges and complexity elements
- Luminus is a major player in the utility market. This market is evolving from a commodity market to a service market, has seen the introduction of decentralized production, flexible resources and increased demands from regulators and TSO’s. Both digitalization and innovate services are required on the level of the energy production, distribution and optimization departments. This makes our activity very challenging both on business and IT services.
- To accommodate this fast changing world Luminus IT has organized its delivery in a bimodal way where on the one hand changes are delivered directly by BizDevOps teams organized in Release Trains (i.e. the teams work according to a scaled agile framework) and on the other hand through Big Projects which are managed by project managers.
- The last years some important investments were done to standardize our IT platforms. Nevertheless we still have some IT debt coming from our Luminus history.
- Luminus has a multi technological environment where besides applications also topics like infrastructure, database, security and impact on operations needs to be taken into account
- The core applications used are SAP and Salesforce.com in Retail and B2B area, Aligne in the Optimization & Risk area and SAP in the finance & HR area. Interconnection happens by an ESB/API hybrid communication platform, reporting & analysis via a central BI foundation.
- More specifically for this role, it’s important to understand that the Optimization department has as mission to preserve at all times the balance of the gas and electricity portfolios to optimize the value of our assets while keeping the cost for our clients as low as possible.
- The optimization landscape is heavily changing with the introduction of decentralized production, flexible resources and increased demands from regulators and TSO’s.
The aim is to reduce operational business cost. We are in a face to replace legacy applications by new COTS applications. This will require complex integration to existing landscape and also includes the implementation of a new Operational Data Store and Data Management System.
The current IT infrastructure, which is becoming obsolete, is a mixture of applications (homemade and COTS) and technologies (excel/access, .NET, JAVA, APEX, DELPHI, VB6) and strong interfacing (DLL, web services, ODBC, FTP, sFTP, file transfer).
Activities and decisions
- Collaborates closely with the Solution Architect to ensure the solution design adheres to the overall solution architecture
- Supports the Solution Architect and the Business Engagement team during intake
- Coaches solution Analyst and Engineer for his/her domains
- Evaluates the feasibility of the different solutions always keeping in mind the affordability, fit-for-purpose and value for money
- Become a business expert to functionally understand the data model, data topology, time series, reference data and meta data
- Defines the principles, IT & security policies and guidelines for his/her domains
- Is accountable for the support of the solution lifecycle
- Is accountable for the support the Technical team in their technical solution design
- Is the subject matter expert of the solutions and has a good understanding on the E2E processes for his/her domains
- Provides expert advice for his/her domains and advise stakeholders on how to best align business processes and solutions
- Formulates propositions for solution improvements and follow-up their execution
- Is accountable for estimating the effort and time required for solution design, configuration, implementation and unit/integration testing
- Is accountable for delivering the solution configuration, implementation and testing within the agreed timeline and budget
- Is accountable for ensuring the solution design, configuration and implementation adheres to the functional solution principles, IT & security policies and standards, guidelines and best practices
- Is accountable for ensuring a continuous cross domain and/or BU alignment on the solution design
- Gives operational support
- Is accountable for documenting the solution design, configuration and implementation
- Is accountable for doing regular knowledge transfer of solution specifics and changes towards the team
- Is accountable for doing solution quality control by reviewing and approval of solution documentation, configuration, implementation and testing
- Is accountable for the release management of the implemented changes
- Is accountable for providing the necessary input in case there are dependencies with other changes
- Understands very well the TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) drivers and contribute to keep their evolution under control;
- Has strong listening, communication, facilitation, influencing and analytical skills with a problem-solving aptitude.
- Is able to understand & discuss Business needs (users), facilitating pragmatic & affordable solutions
- Strong team worker
- Proven abilities to take initiative and be innovative
- The ideal candidate holds a Master degree in exact sciences (preferably in IT) or has attained comparable level through relevant experience;
- Has a proven track record of being accountable on successful solution designs and their implementation;
- Has a background in utility business (optimization / trading domain) or in financial trading and ALM and sufficient technical and programming affinity to correctly evaluate migration, trials and development strategies
- Worked at least 3 years in a similar environment